Denture cleaning advice
Oral health is extremely important. If neglected it can lead to serious problems in the rest of the body. Bacteria from the mouth can quickly enter the blood stream and cause infection wherever it spreads.
Dentures are no exception. Following the steps below will help maintain a clean denture and mouth and so prevent any complications;
- Remove dentures before sleeping
- Dentures should be cleaned day and night. It is important to clean all surfaces of the denture.
- Clean dentures after mealtimes, when convenient.
- It is recommended to use denture cream rather than normal toothpaste. Normal toothpaste is to abrasive for plastic dentures.
- A soft denture brush or toothbrush can be used but should be replaced every couple of months.
- Soak dentures in Sterident/Milton solution 2/3 times weekly. It is very important to follow the instructions on the box as these formulas have bleaching agents in.
When cleaning dentures, always do it over a bowl/sink filled with water. They can become slippy and if dropped in water less likely to break.
If you need further help or advice, call our team 0151 933 1888